Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Last Day of the Gluten Free Trials and Wierd Cat Games

Mom: Jenny...the cats are playing their wierd cat games!

So today is the last day of The Gluten Trials. This week started out difficult, but I soon realized I can eat alot of things ...chicken, cheese, salad (of course), chips and salsa (YES), etc.

Last night, we went bar hopping and wound up at The Flying Saucer ... 84 kinds of beer.
I walk up to the bartender and ask "Do you guys have any beer without wheat in it?
and the asshole says "All beer has wheat in it"
and I said "NO actually not ALL beer does. There is one that doesn't"
How did he respond? By bringing me Redbridge. The beer with no wheat.

Then, we go to Chachos - yummy mexican food - where I order the Beef Fajita Burrito - Extra Sloppy with NO tortilla, chips instead. The girl got all confused and Warren tries to explain by telling her if I eat any kind of wheat, I'll explode. So she brings me fajita nachos.

This week I have been tempted by the pasta at work (which I LOVE), the cupcakes that smell so effing good, the delicious sandwiches cooking on the grill, and kolaches at Alana's house.
But I think I've made a decision.

I feel pretty good, doing this whole no wheat thing. I feel less bloated, I feel a little more healthy, just really damn good all around.

I think I'm going to continue this gluten free thing in general. Now, the exception I'll make is for special occasions. For example, when Frank comes home from college next week. We always have a date night at Olive Garden and they are having never ending pasta. OUR FAV.
So I'll eat it then, but that's it.
And if it's someone's birthday I might have a piece of cake. But not on an everyday basis.

I think I'm going to try and work it into my eating habits like Jenny has had to and eventually, hopefully, It will become easier and to the point of where I don't even WANT to have it.

I can still eat my FAV thing - chips and salsa, and I can still have chicken, veggies, fruit, rice, gluten free pastas...which actually are not that bad (I had some mac & cheese the other day that was amazingly good) I have yet to try any gluten free ravioli....my favorite food ever...maybe Ill go find some and make that for dinner tonight.
But all in all, Im satisfied and very happy that I did these Gluten Free Trials. Not only do I more understand what my sister's life is like, and how difficult it can be, I also feel as though I'm doing something good for myself.
So that's the final word on my little experiment.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I wish I could have seen warren saying that. Maybe that's what I should start telling people, LOL

You are a great sister.